Buildings

Über­sichts­plan als PDF

The oldest muse­um buil­dings are almost 500 years old, while the youn­gest buil­dings are from the 20th cen­tu­ry; toge­ther, the­se buil­dings give a com­plex pic­tu­re of life in times past. The buil­dings give insight to his­to­ri­cal buil­ding methods and to our ances­tors’ ways of life. Here you can learn how wealt­hy far­mers and tra­des­men lived – as well as life for the poo­rest seg­ments of socie­ty.

Living stan­dards and living con­di­ti­ons were dic­ta­ted by both rank in socie­ty, as well as the spe­ci­fic time peri­od. This is can be seen in the museum’s older buil­dings.

The muse­um con­ta­ins five dif­fe­rent buil­ding grou­pings. The­se grou­pings are not abrupt­ly divi­ded, but rather their con­fi­gu­ra­ti­on flows, in kee­ping to the muse­um nar­ra­ti­ve. The cen­ter of the muse­um is the Hohen­lo­he Vil­la­ge (Hohen­lo­her Dorf), with farm­hou­ses from the 1550s, 1800 and 1900. Other buil­dings in the Hohen­lo­he Vil­la­ge inclu­de tra­des­men homes, a school­hou­se and the muse­um restau­rant (Roter Och­sen), which exu­des the invi­ting ambi­an­ce of an 18th cen­tu­ry tavern.

The “Tech­nik” buil­ding grou­ping is loca­ted in front of the Hohen­lo­he Vil­la­ge. Here you can visit the train sta­ti­on and the oldest coope­ra­ti­ve grain wareh­ou­se – both of which were built in the 19th cen­tu­ry in Kup­fer­zell.

 

Tra­ve­ling bey­ond the Hohen­lo­he Vil­la­ge, in the direc­tion of the museum’s second lar­gest buil­ding grou­ping (Vintner’s Vil­la­ge), visi­tors pass by the “Stei­gen­gast­haus.” This was ori­gi­nal­ly an inn on an important con­nec­ting road. The inn offe­red a place of rest to pas­sing mer­chants, farm hands and their draft ani­mals. The­re are many good sto­ries tied to this once busy inn.

Homes and buil­dings of tra­de can be found in the Vintner’s Vil­la­ge (Wein­bau­ern­dorf). A hou­se from Sach­sen­flur, which dates back to the 16th cen­tu­ry, is of par­ti­cu­lar inte­rest. The Sach­sen­flur hou­se was desi­gned to give visi­tors an up-clo­se view of his­to­ri­cal buil­ding tech­ni­ques. The Wine Grower’s Hou­se from Ver­ren­berg (which remains to this day an important wine-gro­wing town) is open on Sundays as a his­to­ri­cal Besen­wirt­schaft (tavern sel­ling home­grown wine).

A 200-year-old saw­mill from the Welz­heim Forest and the farm­s­te­ad “Müh­le Laun” – built in 1687 in Wei­perts­ho­fen – are loca­ted in the Mill Val­ley (Müh­len­tal). Both mills are ope­ra­ted on spe­cial occa­si­ons and mem­bers of the “Müh­len­teams” are on site to give explana­ti­ons and demons­tra­te the his­to­ri­cal mecha­nisms.

The most important buil­ding in the “Wald­ber­ge” (moun­tain forest) grou­ping is the farm­s­te­ad “Käs­hof,” which was built in 1585.  In the win­ter of 1944/45 events that were a mat­ter of life and death took place in this farm­s­te­ad.

The­se five buil­ding grou­pings are nest­led bet­ween fiel­ds, orchards and gar­dens.

Sonder- und Dauerausstellungen

Neben der Prä­sen­ta­ti­on der ori­gi­nal­ge­treu ein­ge­rich­te­ten Gebäu­de wer­den auch Son­der- und Dau­er­aus­stel­lun­gen gezeigt, die ver­tie­fen­de Ein­bli­cke in unter­schied­li­che Berei­che der regio­na­len Kul­tur­ge­schich­te bie­ten.

© Freilandmuseum Wackershofen – Impressum